Why is neutering rabbits so important?
Neutering is important for both female and male rabbits. Reasons for neutering include:
- Prevention of unwanted pregnancy
- Prevention and/or reduction of aggressive behaviour
- Prevention and/or reduction of undesirable sexual behaviours and territorial marking
- Male rabbits can start urine spraying and territorial marking as young as 5 – 6months of age
- Prevention and treatment of reproductive disease
- Female rabbits have a high chance of developing uterine cancer if not neutered (over 80% of rabbits over the age of 5 will have uterine cancer)
- Male rabbits are at risk of developing testicular cancer
When should I neuter my rabbit?
We advise neutering rabbits after 6 months of age so that we can correctly identify their gender, as well as wait for them to finish their vaccination course.