Dogs are curious creatures, often using their nose to investigate their environment – as was the case with our friend Sam, the Brittany Spaniel pup.

Sam presented to the NWVC last month after his owner noticed a substantial swelling on the right side of his face. After further investigation Dr. Dawn located a bee stinger on Sam’s upper lip – ouch!
Unfortunately, the team were unable to remove the stinger while this young playful pup was conscious – so he was admitted for removal of the stinger under mild sedation.

Sam was given an antihistamine injection to help reduce the swelling, before returning home for cuddles with his big brother Oscar.


What should I do if my dog gets stung by a bee?

Bee stings can cause a mild or severe allergic reaction. If the reaction is severe, it can cause the airways to close – the sting does not have to be near the face for this to happen!
It is important to be quick to recognise that your pet has been stung. Dogs will often begin to paw at the face suddenly, chew at the sting site, or the area will begin to swell rapidly.

Veterinary attention should be sought immediately if any of these signs occur:

1. Swelling around or near the face or throat
2. Trouble breathing
3. Painful around the sting site
4. Pale gums
5. Drooling
6. Vomiting
7. Your pet collapses

It is advisable to remove the stinger if you can do so safely – this will help to reduce the amount of toxin injected into the dog’s body.